Monday, April 6, 2009

I Wonder - An Easter Poem


I wonder what I would have done,
Had I been there in that crowd,
Would I have spoken up for Him,
In a voice clear and loud?

Would I have walked beside Him,
Down that dirty, rock-strewn road?
Would I have tried to steady Him,
As He stumbled with His load?

Would I have let Him lean against me?
Would I have gladly borne his weight?
Could I have helped in anyway,
To have eased His great heartache?

Could I have said the proper words,
To comfort His aloneness,
To show I shared His sorrow,
To attend to His forlornness?

I wonder if I'd been there,
Would I have stroked His tear-stained cheek,
And kissed His bloodied hands,
And washed his bloodstained feet?

Would I have rubbed His aching shoulders,
Put soothing lotion on His back.
Tended to His open wounds,
And supplied the water that He lacked?

I know I was not good enough,
To volunteer to take His place.
But could I have helped Him bear that cross,
And kept the sweat from His dear face?

Would I have put my arms around His mother,
And hugged her to my breast?
Could I have shielded her from viewing,
Her precious Son's tormented death?

Could I have helped prepare His body,
And have bathed Him with perfume?
I wonder if I'd been there,
Would I have waited by His tomb?

No doubt that Easter Morning,
I would have shouted,
"HE IS RISEN!"
And I know I would have thanked my God,
For that most joyous of occasions.

I'm so sorry that He suffered,
And I am sad it was that way.
But I know it was God's plan for man,
And because of it, we're saved.

The only thing I could have done,
I suppose, had I been there.
Would have been to state my love for Him,
And tell Him that I cared.


written by Virginia (Ginny) Ellis




5 comments:

Coach said...

Thank you, Coach Marla, for sharing your faith.
Happy Easter Wishes :)

Hayley/Shu Fen said...

hello visiting you! :D have a nice day! ^^

nice poem :) thanks for sharing!

Dhemz said...

hello coach Marla, thanks for following my blog...followed yours as well....have a great easter....:)

rosecreekcottage-carol.blogspot.com said...

This is just beautiful. Thank you for posting it! Many blessings to you
on your journey.

Tough Cookie said...

Coach Marla, I hope you had a wonderful holiday. I love the poem, and I also wanted to thank you for posting me as one of your favorite sites a few posts back. I feel so honored!!!!

Thinking of you!

<3 Maria