Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Celebrating the "Women Of HOPE" - Journey # 5

~Kris' Journey~


My name is Kristin and I am a 50-year-old female who has been suffering with chronic pain for 9 years.


After researching these diseases. I believe mine started from years of emotional and sometimes physical abuse in my first marriage. Spending everyday for 17 years with worry that you may make your husband mad or upset in anyway or at any moment takes a toll on your body. I remember going through panic attacks and being afraid to sleep at night or even go out for anything. I finally got the panic attacks under control and I am so grateful for that.

I then had surgery on my neck for a herniated disc that was causing a lot of pain and pressure in the back of my head and neck. About 1 year later the Chronic Pain started, first with Fibromyalgia. It took many doctor appointments and testing to finally get an answer to the all over aching and pain I had.

I was at that point divorced from my first husband and during the time I was being tested to find out what was wrong with me, I met up with an ex-boyfriend on a class mates site and we started talking and became close and now we are married.

He has helped me through all the hard times and taken me to doctors and tried to get me the help I needed. I have been very blessed to have him.

I then tried to work again and did ok for a while, until one night after work, I was out walking with my dog. It is something we had done for about a year. We were up to 2 miles a night, when I felt a horrible pain in my hip. It went shooting down my rt. hip to my foot. The pain was so bad; I could barely make it back to my car. The pain continued, so I had an X-ray , then MRI. The MRI showed herniated discs in my back, so I went for epidural injections and therapy. When neither of those things worked and the pain continued and even got worse, they sent me to a pain doctor. I was diagnosed with RSD by him and sent for desensitization therapy, aqua therapy and PT. He also did nerve blocks and finally got me on a combination of meds that did seem to help some with the pain. They then tried a trial SCS (Spinal Cord Stimulator) which did not work for me at all. But the pain did go down some from the combination of the other things they had me try.

Since then, I have also been diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease with and Stenosis Arthritis in my neck and back, Raynaud's Carpal Tunnel and Hyperthyroid.

I know how devastating it can be for a person suffering and those around him/her. I have had different pain syndromes and have learned a lot about them in that time, but I know there is always more to learn especially from others who also have these diseases.

It is very hard to not be able to do the things you used to, such as hold down a job and know where your next paycheck is coming from. It is really hard to have a doctor tell you that it is all in your head, or a spouse who thinks that you are lazy, or friends who just don't want to be friends any more.

I am fortunate, though; my family and friends have been very understanding and as helpful as they can. My husband is a very concerned, loving and compassionate man and hopes that there will be a cure for some of these diseases soon. I know not everyone who suffers has family helping them. Most of the time, family and friends are not there for them.

Before I had these pain diseases, I had a more normal and active life. I sometimes held down 2 or 3 jobs, plus had some nighttime activities. I am now unable to make plans with friends or family because of pain. It is a hard thing for them to understand and that is one of the things I am hoping to change one day.

I am still able to get around even though I walk a little funny. I am able to do light house-work and keep up with the cooking and shopping. Some days I am just too tired or sore to do things, so I don't. I just do as much as I can and then stop. I am unable to work or hold down a job at present, but am hoping to change that one-day with treatment.


~Kris~

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Kris for sharing your journey with us.

I wish you ALL the best of life, because you deserve it!!

Blessings,
Coach Marla

Coach said...

Hi Kris,

I'm so touched by your experience and grateful that you shared it. God Bless.

angelfmrsd said...

It touches me that you both took the time to read my story and post about it

Thank you

Blessings

Kris

angelfmrsd said...

TY both for reading my story and for taking the time to post about it

Blessings

Kris