Thursday, January 8, 2009

Calf, Bulldozer & Me....What do these things have in common?

Yesterday on one of the 'many' trips of letting my dogs out to go potty, my Chihuahua (Peanut) was pretty close to the cattle gate by the pasture sniffing around. I walked down to make sure she didn't go under the gate into the pasture with the cows, because she wouldn't be the same little doggie if she did. hahahahaa.

As I got up to the gate, a cow came up to the gate, let me pet her on the nose a couple of times and for me to notice her ear tag which showed her to be cow #14. After I petted her, she turned around and I noticed on her tail there was some mucus so I knew she was either about to give birth, or had already given birth. But when she was quickly trotting away from me she was grunting pretty badly. So I scurried to the house with the dogs to get the phone and to leave the dogs inside. I called my in-laws house to let them know about what I was witnessing, but they weren't home, so I left a message. When I got back out where I could see the cow, she was standing near the woods and her backside was towards me....Then all of a sudden it happened!! She gave birth, right there standing up....I got to see the whole thing. I tell ya, I was wide eyed and wide mouthed as this was happening..and excited at the same time. I called my in-laws house again leaving them the message of the birth and that I would keep an eye on momma and baby so we can make sure baby is alright. As I leaned on the gate, the bull came up wanting to be congratulated or something, because he could not get enough of my loving as he rested his big ole head on my shoulder and licked my cheek a few times....which was such a delight and major treat for me. hahahahaha

I watched as momma cleaned baby and baby was rolled all over out there, I was feeling so sorry for that baby for sure!!

Then after an hour, baby had not stood up yet and they should be up within the first 15 minutes of birth. So I knew something was wrong with the baby. I also noticed that none of the other cows were over there with momma and they usually stay close to one another to protect the baby while momma cleans up all the mess from where the baby has been. Which clinched it for me, that baby was sick or hurt and we needed to get it out as soon as possible or the momma would kill it.

As I was about to call my in-laws again to see if they were back yet or to leave a message with that info on it, off in the distance, but not too far from baby, I noticed some coyotes coming closer and momma had walked away from baby. I left an entirely different message for my in-laws telling them the baby was down, coyotes coming close....bring your gun!!

Now, I had no idea where my in-laws were, or when they would be home, but I knew I had to keep those coyotes from getting any closer to that baby without me getting into the pasture myself. So I started making all sorts of noises, singing as loud (and horribly) as I could and they backed off. But all that bad singing caused the bull to fall in love with me I think....hahahahaha. He followed me where ever I went and snorted at the other cows if they came anywhere close to me....hahahahaa Hope he don't try to mount me...hahahahaha.

Anyway, FINALLY my father in law (Dan) came over with his bulldozer and some feed. We rounded up all the cattle and closed them up in the pen so we could go in the pasture without being in danger. Dan and I walked over to where the baby was laying and the poor thing was shivering terribly and it's neck was pulled back really far. Dan and I got down on our knees to feel it over to see if anything was broken on it's body, couldn't feel anything. Then my mother in law (Phyllis) walked out there to us and the 3 of us tried to stand the baby up, but it just couldn't hold itself up. So Dan pulled the bulldozer close and the 3 of us put this baby, that weighed 75 lbs. at least, in the bucket of the bulldozer. Phyllis sat on one side of the baby in the bucket, and I sat on the other side of the baby in the bucket, and we got it out of the pasture.

Dan opened the pen to let the cattle out and momma went 'running' over to where baby was, and close behind her was all the other cattle. When momma got over there and seen baby was gone, she was MAD!! She went to fighting with the other cows, bellowing for the baby, and kicking up dust like crazy. I felt so bad for her, but we had to get the baby out of there before night fall or before she herself killed it because there was something wrong with it.

Phyllis, baby, and I rode in the bucket over to my in laws house and Phyllis went in and made it a bottle of milk. (They keep calf bottles and powered calf milk on hand for just this kind of situation). I fed the baby and it sucked down not one, but 2 bottles within 10 minutes. It was so hungry and starting to get dehydrated.

As we waited for a neighbor to come take a look at the calf, I was sitting in the bucket with it's head next to my leg and my hand under it. And then, I turned into a human "pacifier"!! Nope, it wasn't sucking on my fingers, uh uh....it liked my leg. That's right my leg!! It was licking and sucking on my leg and it's shivering would calm.

Joe (neighbor) got there and felt all over it's body to see if there was a reason it would be holding it's head the way it was, and he couldn't find anything broken, but the muscles down the backside of it's neck was extremely tight, but that was all. I asked him if he knew of any good "Cow-a-practers". hahahahaha.

Joe picked up the baby, all by himself....WOW, and carried it to a pallet of blankets Dan had made on the floor of his barn and laid her gently down. I then covered it up with another blanket and laid down beside it to give it my body heat and to comfort it from all the stress it had been through so far.

It finally calmed down and the shivering was far and few between, like when you get cold then go inside a warm place but you still shiver for awhile, then the shivering itself stops, but every once in awhile you still shiver or maybe it is a shudder. But I am sure you all know what I am talking about.

Once she was all calm, Joe started feeling on it's legs, belly, chest, and making sure it's legs could straighten out. All seemed well in those areas, and we found out the baby is a girl!! But still no answer as to why her head was tilted back like it was.

So we covered her all up, tucking the blanket all around her, and I held her head and caressed it until she fell fast asleep.
Then I got help getting up and came home. Which my dogs were sooooo very happy to see!! They had their poor little legs crossed...hahahahahaaha.

Keep in mind all this started about 1:00 or so in the afternoon and I didn't get back home until 8:30 in the evening!!

About 3am I had to let the dogs out for their 'usual' call to release!! When I first walked out the door, I heard momma bellowing for her baby and heart so went out to her, but I know we did the right thing! But a few seconds later I heard 'many' coyotes howling very loudly and somewhat close. I figure they are mad as all get out that what they thought would be dinner is gone!!

Now, here's the wonderful part!! She is a beautiful calf....and I think God sent me outside when he did, because I normally don't pay much attention to the cows out there, but I watched this calf come out of it's momma....and I was there to protect her from the coyotes.....and she is now safe, warm and cared for. God sure knows what He is doing doesn't He?? I am so grateful that I was here and able to do whatever I could to help save the life of this beautiful baby calf!!

I called this morning and baby is doing pretty good. Still can't stand on it's own, but is drinking down the milk like nobody's business...hahahahahaha. Phyllis told me that I make a pretty good mid-wife for cows...hahahahahaha how funny is that? I told her I would be like one of those sheep dogs and sit on a hilltop and watch over the herd. hahahahaha.

Everyone has asked if we got a picture of Phyllis and I riding in the bucket of the bulldozer with the calf. Nope, sure didn't!! Sure wish we would have though, that would be an awesome picture wouldn't it. hahahahaha
I do plan on getting some pictures of the baby today when my hubby comes home and I will post them for you to see her. Oh yeah, my hubby is coming home early tonight because he is going coyote hunting!! Maybe we'll have a picture of one of those as well....hahahahaha.

Now, you want to know how I am doing today?? Well, I am pretty sore, but I feel it was for a extremely good reason!! I am not experiencing any RSD flares, and I haven't fallen within the past 24 hours, so God is watching over me indeed!! Of which I am completely grateful for and give praise to Him for allowing me to do all that I did yesterday and not suffer in excruciating pain for doing it today!!

Hope you found some humor, as well as how one person can make a difference with not only another person, but with all creation!!

~God Bless~

No comments: