Saturday, January 10, 2009

Camo Up for Coyote Hunting, If You Dare! =)

I was going to post this yesterday, but got so busy that time just got away from me. Sorry.

Thursday evening Jonathan, (my hubby) got home about 5:00, which is REAL early from him. Dan and I were standing outside feeding the cows when he got here, and I was telling Dan about this really big cat I had seen earlier in the day, when he walked up and listened in.(And I'm not talking about a "kitty cat").
Well, they both looked at me liked I had finally lost that last screw that was holding things together or something, but I knew what I had seen!!

Jonathan goes ahead in the house and "cammo's up". When he walked back out, he was in full disguise, from head to toe and including his face being covered with a piece of fabric that was attached to the hat. He looked like a walking tree. hahahahahaha.

He asked me where the baby was born, where the coyotes were, and then with much sarcasm, where the "big cat" was. I showed all the sites and watched him walk out into the pasture. Keeping an eye on the bull, so he wouldn't come up behind Jonathan and head butt him to the ground.

Jonathan heads to the area where the baby was born and kneels down in among some bushes. Well, momma cow had watched him walking over there and was making a beeline over to see what he was doing. Momma gets there, finds Jonathan in the bushes and begins mooing at him over and over again. My heart was completely breaking for her, because I knew she was so desperately searching for her baby. I had to go inside at that point because the tears were turning into waterfalls flowing down my cheeks. I had to tell myself that we 'had' to take that baby out of there or those coyotes would have gotten it, and momma probably would have killed it first. It wasn't easy to convince myself of that though after hearing her crying at Jonathan like she did.

A couple of hours go by and it was pitch black outside, when all of a sudden I heard a "BOOM" of a gun. I thought to myself, "He must have got one". About 20 minutes later he came walking through the door and I asked him, "I heard you take a shot, did ya get a coyote?" He looks at me, takes a deep breath as in disgust and says, "Nope, I didn't even see them!" Needless to say, I was more than a little shocked since I had heard a shot.
I said, "But I heard you shoot, or was that you?" He said, "Let me tell ya about that."

So he sits down in his recliner and begins, "I am so mad at myself, I could just spit!! I was sitting there in this bush using my dying rabbit call, and had just told myself how badly I suck at using it and was going to the house." He says, "I stood up and seen something move out the corner of my eye. I turned to see what it was, when all of a sudden it jumped about 5 ft to the left and scared the crap out of me." He continued with, "You know that "cat" you seen earlier?" Well, that's not a "big" cat, that's a "BIG ASS BOBCAT!!!!"

Of course by this time my eyes are as big as saucers and my mind is swirling with all sorts of possible scenarios. He took another deep breath and said, "That bobcat was almost slithering up behind me about 10 feet, looking for that dying rabbit it was hearing. When I stood up, I scared it almost as much as he scared me. But it was so close I could have thrown a rock at it. We were looking eye to eye almost." My mouth was hitting the floor with hearing this and I said, "Are you alright? Did it jump you? Are you bleeding?"
I could have asked even more questions, but Jonathan stopped me! He said, "NO, nothing like that happened." "When we finished 'sizing up' one another, I pulled my shotgun up and before I could get the scope to my eye that bobcat was on the run!" He said, "I took one shot, but it was behind the back legs....or even further" "But that is the BIGGEST Bobcat I have ever seen!!" He says.

Next thing I knew, Jonathan was on the phone, calling first one friend and then another telling them of his Bobcat encounter. I tell ya, some of the things he was telling them was so funny....now that I had already heard it and knew he was alright, of course!! But I thought I was going to wet myself when he was talking to his best friend and said it like this:

"I was sitting there cussing myself about not being able to call in anything with that dying rabbit call and was calling it a night. I went to stand up and seen something move on the left of me. I turn, seen it was a Big Ass Bobcat and next thing I knew I was screaming: SHITTTTTTTT, my heart went to my throat and shit rolled down my legs!!" hahahahahaha I so cracked up laughing!!

On the one hand I was laughing at his rendition of his experience, but on the other hand I was relieved that he seen the 'big cat' he didn't seem to believe me about earlier, but I didn't want it 'that' close to him. hahahaha

Update on the baby calf:

It took her a couple days and lots of us helping her, but she is now standing on her own...still shaky, but getting better at it every day. Her neck is now back to it's normal position, took lots of massaging and a crushed up Motrin in her milk. I know, some of you are thinking....'What, you gave Motrin to a calf?' Yeppers, sure enough did!! She was in pain and needed relief, wouldn't you want someone to give you relief?? That's what I thought!! It helped 100% get her relaxed enough so while massaging her neck she was able to move it more freely and 'feeeeeeel' better!!

Today we are going to put her momma in the squeeze shoot, bring baby over and see if she will nurse from momma. Maybe, just maybe we can get momma to accept her back and she can run and play in the pasture with the other babies and momma's. Wouldn't that be great? Although I would like to keep her as a pet, but we will see what God has in mind for this precious bundle and go from there!

Oh and Jonathan will take some pictures of baby today....and possibly of Phyllis, Baby, and myself in the bucket of the bulldozer as we bring baby back over here to momma. (guess I better go shower and get some make up on just in case huh??). hahahahahaha

I will keep you all updated on how it goes today with momma and baby, and will post those pictures as well. =)

2 comments:

Coach said...

"The Duke" lives @ Marla's ranch!! Marla, you have one very brave hubby. This story says the Wild West is still wild! =)

Unknown said...

hahahahahaha. You are too funny Coach A.!!
But you do have a point, it is never dull around my house that's for sure!! hahahahaha

Love Ya!