Friday, January 23, 2009

Life - Through The Eyes Of A Child!

This afternoon I was to pick up my 4 year old grand-daughter from school and then she would be spending the weekend with me. Well, what I am about to tell you happened on our way back to my house from the school, and this story will crack you up as well as make you think! Because through the eyes of a child, life looks soooo different!!

Let me tell ya, my grand-daughter is something else! She is 4 going on 40 I think. But she is the "Sunshine Of My Life" and always will be.

Anyway, To begin with....We live in Texas right? Well, as we are driving down the road on our way to my house from the school, she shouts loudly....
"There's a kangaroo taking a nap over there. Turn around!" ERRRR, Now no matter how much I tried to convince her that kangaroo's aren't in this part of the world except in zoo's, she insisted that I turn around and go back, because now she thinks it might be sick or hurt and need our help!! So I turn around, go back and wait for her to tell me to stop wherever this kangaroo was napping, because I sure didn't know!!

Finally she shouts again saying,
"Stop, there it is, there it is" Now I am really starting to look around trying to find some animal that might look like a kangaroo, but I am not finding any animal what so ever!! I pull up into this driveway of an old business and stop. She says, "I want to get out and you need to come with me Yetta." (Yetta is Yiddish for Grandmother so all the grandkids call me that....not because I'm Yiddish, but because they have so many other grandparents it was like....Grandma who? hahahhaa, so I wanted to make sure that whenever they were talking about me, everyone knew who they were talking about! hahahaha).

So we get out of the car and I am completely clueless as to which way we are suppose to be walking, so I start following her.
( I know, chickeny way out, but you know you would have done the same thing! hahaaha ).

She is walking very slowly, carefully, almost tiptoeing really. I ask her, "Why are you walking so slow?" She turned around and looked at me with this scowl on her face and said, "uhh Yetta, if it's napping we don't want to wake it up." Now I am trying sooooooo hard not to laugh by swallowing hard and I simply say back to her, "Oh, I didn't think of that. Good job! You are so smart! I am so proud of you!" Well she ate that up big time hahaha.

Ok, so I am still looking everywhere for some animal that might look like a kangaroo in the grass beside the road, which is a two lane road, can't see anything but grass, weeds, and paper....but I am still following her.

Finally she stops, turns around, looks at me and says, "shhhhhh there it is, but I don't think it is a kangaroo anymore." I said, "You don't? What do you think it is then?" Now again, I am doing everything in my power not to completely bust a gut here.....She looks at me all sad and pitiful like and says,
"It ain't nothing but some ole junky tire that some idiot left here to make me think it was a kangaroo!!"

Ok....I bust out laughing now!! And she asks me, "Why are you laughing Yetta?" Uh oh, now what do I say? All kinds of thoughts are rolling around in my head looking for the perfect response to that when finally I say, "Well Cheyenne, I think you are right. Someone left that ole tire here, but not because they are an idiot, and not because they wanted you to think there was a kangaroo there! They left it there because they were too lazy to pick it up and throw it away."

So with the biggest smile on her face, she asks, "Can we pick it up and put it in our trash?" Now I know I am bios, and I know she is just too cute, but that just won my heart andI know I gave her one of those oh so proud looks, as I said, "You betcha sweetie, we can pick up that ole tire and put it in our trash, no problem!!"

So we did just that, but as we were putting it in the trash bin, she said, "I didn't want to see a dumb ole kangaroo anyway!" hahahahahahaa. She is a mess I tell ya, a funny...too grown mess! hahaahahhaa.

I just had to share this with you all....it was too good to keep all to myself!! Below is a couple of pictures of Cheyenne from early evening when she was helping feed the baby calf named 'Blind' Faith.






3 comments:

Coach said...

We're still laughing...what a funny story! She's such a cutie!! :)

annh said...

oh, that is just so sweet, We have 3 Greatgrand daughters, ages, 6, 5 & 2 ...and I am just amazed at the things they say and do..we are so blessed...

Tough Cookie said...

Wow, that article on the woman in Germany is so upsetting and frustrating. The worst part is that her life and her family's depends on money... money they don't have. As someone who studies sociology, money, access, and power are things that I am very passionate about because a limited few have those three things... and everyone should be entitled to a fair shot at happiness. It's so unfair.... I'm sending a lot of love her way. Especially because I live in central NJ :-(